Clergy in the Chelmsford Diocese have received an Ad Clerum from Bishop Stephen relating to the Ordinariate, which seems to me to be graciously robust. Key points:
- +Stephen is seeking 'clarity and generosity'
- those entering the ordinariate are leaving the Church of England, therefore clergy need to formally resign
- parsonage houses will not be transferred
- "we will... move quickly to make new appointments" to the relevant parishes
- +Stephen is open to shared use of church buildings, but not on Sunday mornings as this will "not serve the need for clarity"
- those parishes that have been withholding their parish share have been acting dishonourably, and +Stephen asks for the withheld moneys to be paid back - "Without this it will be all the harder to have the generous conversations we hope for".