Friday, October 06, 2006

A bit more on non-violence

Another excellent 'ten propositions' from Kim Fabricius here. Thing is, I'm still resistant to it (tho' the resistance is crumbling, I think).

The root of my objection comes back to my notion that non-violence can become an idol, and lying behind that is my initial absorption of the idea (Tillich via a tutor) that the Ultimate cannot be named; anything that can be named and identified is not ultimate, therefore not absolute, therefore can be broken.

If non-violence is made an absolute, I just suspect that something might go wrong. Of course, the acceptance of violence has radically demonstrated 'things going wrong' in spades. Yet that just makes a rigorous just-war stance all the more necessary. I think that's why - for now - I'd want to stick with the just-war tradition, despite what Kim says about it.

There's also a thought that death itself is not an absolute evil - and so should not be made into an absolute evil within a moral system (without denying that it IS an evil).

A thought occurred to me today at Morning Prayer. If Judas hadn't killed himself, and came back to the disciples in penitence, would he have been embraced by the risen Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.